The Birth of a Family


When my first son was born in 2001, I had no idea how much one person could transform my life. Even though I had nine months to prepare, I didn't feel ready for this BIG change. I was married in August 2000, and I didn't plan to have any children so soon. I wanted to spend more time getting to know my wife, planning our future, and traveling around the USA before raising a family. But life doesn't usually go as planned.

I admit I was nervous about the uncertain future for the newly-arrived bundle of responsibility. I nervously clipped the slimy bluish-white umbilical cord with the surgical scissors, separating one life from another, leaving a fragile, vulnerable, and dependent human being in the care of his parents. I wondered if I could truly "hack it" as a dad. Did I learn enough to handle fatherhood? Would I make the right choices? Would I have the space in my heart to make large sacrifices for him?

As I held my son in my arms for the first time in the delivery room, staring at his tiny, pink face, that question would start to be answered. Being "enough" as a father is not answered as a definitive, measurable conclusion. It is answered moment by moment, with every choice and action, where a father's mind leaves the realm of "self" to focus on the well-being of a child, and to take actions to fulfill the hopes and dreams of that child.

As my wife and raised our bundle of joy, our lives would be blessed by sweet, warm memories. It wasn't long before we made more space in our family to add a second and third son. Our sons have been our biggest BLESSINGS in our lives, giving us meaning and fulfillment.

Our children have also given me a stronger sense of direction, purpose and identity, allowing me to channel my energy and strength into three wonderful beings who will leave their mark in the world beyond my lifetime.

I write this journal for my sons. It is my contribution as a father, guide and mentor, as is the responsibility and privilege of all fathers in the world. The world is a menagerie of distraction and information overload, where LED screens demand the attention of our loved ones. It is increasingly difficult for parents to have their children look into their eyes to connect face to face. Hopefully, this online journal will reach their eyes and become a helpful guide when they are seeking guidance and advice for their lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our tears are our gifts

Purpose of this Blog

Each Soul Is Unique